Covid-19 UK Veg Box Scheme Report
A Food Foundation report looking at UK veg box sales during the coronavirus lockdown. We found that veg box sales increased by 111% in the six weeks between the end of February 2020 and mid-April 2020.
- Data from the Food Foundation, published in May 2020, showed that UK veg box sales increased by 111% in the six weeks between the end of February 2020 and mid-April 2020
- A survey of 101 veg box schemes across the UK showed weekly sales of veg boxes more than doubled as a result of the coronavirus pandemic
- 82% of box schemes had waiting lists or were closed for new orders, with the average waiting list numbering 160 customers
- A total of 3.5 million veg boxes were likely to have been delivered between the beginning of March and mid-April 2020, but if waiting lists had been met, 5.3 million veg boxes could have be supplied over the following six weeks
- 65% of box schemes were actively prioritising key workers, the vulnerable or isolating
- Veg box schemes called for support in the form of Government investment grants to help upscale fruit and vegetable supply to meet increased demand.