The Food Foundation spearheads the End Child Food Poverty Coalition – a group of more than 30 third sector organisations supporting the call from Marcus Rashford for the Government to improve the diets and food access of children in low income families.
We are also part of the End Child Food Poverty Taskforce – a group of businesses led by Marcus who dedicate their platforms to sharing real stories of those most affected by child food insecurity in the UK, supported by real-time statistics.
Both the Coalition and Task Force are currently campaigning to see the Chancellor’s October 2021 Spending Review provide sufficient funds to guarantee that every child in England at risk of going hungry gets some good food every day by supporting three recommendations in the National Food Strategy.
Join the movement and #WriteNow to your MP
“You can fill 27 Wembley stadiums with the 2.5 million children that are struggling to know where their next meal might be coming from today”
Footballer and activist Marcus Rashford
The story so far
- June 2020: Government pledges to support children on Free School Meals over the summer holidays with food vouchers
- July 2020: The National Food Strategy Part 1 recommends three key policy changes supporting children from low income households to eat well
- September 2020: The End Child Food Poverty Taskforce forms to call on Government to implement three recommendations from the National Food Strategy Part 1
- October 2020: Marcus Rashford launches a parliamentary petition to #EndChildFoodPoverty,which is signed by over 1.1 million people
- November 2020: Following a major public campaign, Government announces a funding package to help alleviate child food poverty.
- January 2020: Marcus and 50 organisations call on Government to review school food policy
- September 2020: Launch of the #WriteNow campaign encouraging the public to write to their MP to end child food poverty