CASE STUDY: supplying fresh fruit and veg to West Yorkshire during Covid-19
In May, Rethink Food, a charity working to empower people to live food secure lives, was awarded £90,000 in funding from DEFRA as part of the government’s fund targeted at providing food for those struggling during Covid-19. With the focus of emergency food aid often on food and energy provision rather than nutrition, RethinK Food worked to ensure vulnerable groups were still able to include fruit and veg in their diets. Over 9 weeks these funds have been used to buy fresh fruit and veg to support families and individuals from across the West Yorkshire region. To support more resilient local food economies, all food was sourced from a local supplier in Leeds, with a range of of seasonal produce purchased including; potatoes, apples, broccoli, grapes, peppers, carrots, satsumas, courgettes, bananas and aubergine. In addition to receiving the food, all recipients were signposted to
entry level instructional video clips to demonstrate how the fruit and veg could be prepared as part of a meal. As a result:
- 75 schools across Leeds and Bradford have received weekly donations of food (7.5 tonnes per week)
- Each school then supports targeted families within their own school community.
- 14 community groups have received food. These donations have been used to provide meals to vulnerable members of the local community each week (3.2 tonnes per week)
- 1.5 tonnes per week is being delivered to Leeds City Council central food distribution warehouse where it is being used to make up food parcels for vulnerable citizens.
- During the summer holidays, 30 Healthy Holiday clubs will receive food donations to help feed children accessing their provision.
Here’s what some of the recipients of the food have said in response to this work: “I’d just like to say a massive thank you for the delivery of fruit and vegetables today. I was really humbled by the amount and families were grateful and thrilled. Thank you so much.”
“Huge thanks for our delivery of food for our community. Lots of happy families this afternoon.”
“The fresh fruit and veg will help us nourish our community, thank you”.
A full evaluation will be available at the end of August