We’re looking for a Food Cities 2022 Consultant
The Food Foundation – Food Cities 2022 Consultant
Role profile and Terms of Reference
Initially July to September 2021
Day rate based on experience
Purpose of role
Food Cities 2022 Learning Partnership is an exciting new initiative that supports cities to develop and implement city led food policies and action plans. We are building a network of cities who are developing their food agendas, with a particular focus on low to middle income countries in the Commonwealth new to food system thinking.
Through the partnership, we will be offering responsive support and advice through a combination of webinars, in-person events, resources such as case-studies, peer-to-peer learning and access to experts. See here for the Food Cities 2022 Concept Note.
A Food Cities 2022 online Learning Platform is being created, providing cities with access to these resources as well as news and guidance to # inspire and motivate cities to embark on the journey towards developing and implementing city food strategies. The platform will launch in August.
Our experience has shown that city officials new to food system thinking are not trained in this area yet expected to process complex information presented in lengthy guidance documentation published by international agencies or the academic community. The Food Cities 2022 partnership and learning platform aims to make it easier for cities to learn how to shape a policy environment that enables citizens to make healthier, sustainable food choices. We are seeking to recruit a consultant to produce a series of online, user-friendly syntheses of key publications to be published on the Food Cities 2022 learning-platform. We estimate up to 12 days’ work to produce the equivalent of 12 such syntheses that highlight key elements and take-aways from each publication for cities to better navigate these resources. The syntheses should be presented in an attractive way to engage an international audience and we will seek your input into design and presentation.
- Produce a list of key publications to be included in this initial set of resources for the Food Cities 2022 Learning Platform.
- Produce up to 12 short documents to inspire and motivate city authorities in low and middle-income countries new to food system thinking and enable them to better locate relevant information.
- Work with the design team to create an attractive and user-friendly template for the written documents you produce and ensure the final series of products are ready for online publication by the end of August 2021.
- In addition to the above, we welcome guidance on the proposed structure of the Food Cities 2022 Learning Platform as well as your input into other elements of the Food Cities 2022 partnership including speakers for the accompanying webinar series and partners to engage.
Technical skills and knowledge
- Knowledge about global food systems and the challenges experienced by policy makers in LMIC.
- Experience of developing online resources for a broad/international audience to support learning about food systems.
- Experience of researching and/or working with cities in South Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa and the Caribbean.
- Awareness of the key international organisations supporting food system transformation (both governmental and non-governmental).
- To date knowledge of existing publications, including guidance material and academic research relating to city region/urban food systems. Strong networks with leading food system thinkers and communities in regions of interest is desirable.
- Clear, articulate communicator in written word
- Creative and analytical thinker
- Adaptable and flexible towards new tasks
How to apply and submission date
Submit your CV and an Expression of Interest no longer than two pages summarising how you meet the requirements as well as your experience. Please also include a list of topics you propose to cover and examples of case studies you will include.
State your day rate and the number of days it will take you to produce the key deliverables.
E-mail your CV and EOI before 16th July to email@example.com with ‘FOOD CITIES 2022 CONSULTANT’ in the subject line.